Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Green Bars

As Nano moves on and the finally manuscript has been handed over to Fran I am left with nothing but Nano to keep me creatively entertained.

What I’ve found most interesting recently is the boards, and as more and more people get higher word counts and even as people start getting to the 50,000 words interesting things have started to pop up.

Whether designed to inspire or for congratulations there is a thread designed for people to announce their achievement of reaching the 50,000 words.  Now some participants that I’ve spoken to set out with their own personal word limits, most around the   90,000- 100,000 word mark. This should be the point that I've managed to reach around 89,000

Its strange how aggressive people get when the topic of ‘why’ people write comes up. This is meant to be a competition for ‘like minded’ people. For people who until Nano lacked the time or the commitment to write anything and now it seems like infighting as ensued on some level.

I write because I have stories to tell, be it to me, family, friend or  others. That’s what writers are,  they are story tellers. Something that I think in Nano gets a little lost, you shouldn’t really be out there to write 50,000 words just because you can, people should just be other there to tell their stories. No matter how long or short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment